Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Daily Write - This Side of the Rift

It is different when you are people like us. The entire world is different. It is because no one can experience the world and the people in it the way we can. And we are incapable of knowing this world in the way that the majority of those living in it do. It is a rift that neither side can jump over. But if given the chance, would either of us make that switch? I wish I could explain myself better than that, but there are no words. At least none that I can put together.


It is why I stay close to those who are like me. To those who understand me. Who can experience the same thing that I do. Even if they spend their whole lives trying to run from it and pretend like it doesn't happen to them. I know that in some twisted, inexplicable way we are all family, connected to each other even if we don't want to be. Those who are not like us don't have that haunt glowing in their eyes. That secret that hides just beneath the surface of their skin. Not like we do. Not like we all do.


I have learned how to spot another one of us without having to speak. We all seem to have that same look on our faces. That same searching, hunting down countenance, as if we are all chasing after the same thing. Despite the fact that we all know that what we are looking for does not exist. But we all run after it anyway. We all hope that if we just keeping going, it will find us. All of us, except for me.


I understand the thing I want the most has never existed and it is not going to come into being just because I spend my life looking for it. Instead, I will just make myself content in this spot. I will stay here with those who are like me. Those who are no longer running and have made peace with this side of the line, this edge of the rift. Those of us who look at the other side and only imagine what is like to experience the world as they do.

No comments:

Post a Comment