Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Some light reading.

I bought a some books a few months ago and had yet to crack any of them with any reading that did them justice. About two nights ago, I found myself with some time on my hands and my normal time filler of playing video games had gotten a bit old. So I thought I would do something constructive and finally read one of those books. Me being me, I picked up the smallest of the three: "How to write Science Fiction and Fantasy" by Orson Scott Card. I didn't get through the first chapter before I wanted to put the book down and start writing again. Of course I hadn't even gotten to his tips on making writing better yet. Awesome way to jump the gun on that one. I bargained with myself that I could pick up my pen once I got through the first chapter. Good thing, since the second chapter is World Creation. Something that I love and need to get better at.

So I have gotten though the first three chapters and it showed me one thing very quickly. While I have a number of ideas in my head, I don't really have a story. There is nothing cohesive about all these thoughts I have floating around. I just have characters in places that do things, but to no end. To be quite honest, that realization was frustrating. To think that you are at one place in your journey, only to be shown that you aren't as far along as you thought you were. My want to write had just been shot in the foot.

To be honest, the writer in me feels a little tapped. Like I am just pumping a dry well and there is nothing left to give at this point. Not sure if that is writer's block or what. I am thinking that perhaps I should read more and see if that helps my creativity any. I haven't really read anything outside of textbooks and things school related in quite some time. I do believe the last book I finished was Witch of Cologne and that was quite a while ago.

Hopefully, I will finish this little book before things go into full swing at school. And then I can take what I have learned and use it as frame work as I try and build my own story in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment