Sunday, February 12, 2012

Daily Write - Valentine Flowers

Before the dinner plans and secret gifts,
Before the spending time figuring out the perfect evening
I got flowers

Before spouses, fiances, and significant others
Before being told "I love you" on cold wintry evenings
I got flowers

During the days when boys were icky and girls had cooties
And the only thing Valentine's Day meant was candy hearts
The chalky ones with pink writing
I got flowers

I got flowers every year
Because you loved me
Because you thought I was special
Because you wanted me to know 
That you loved me and I was special

I remember. I remember getting flowers
Even now that Valentine's has been filled with so many other things
Nothing can take the place of those flowers.

4 comments:

  1. Very lovely poem. I like how you kept the concept simple, it worked well. Makes me miss the poems I used to write, and used to know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I don't write poems too often. So it's nice when people read them and like what they read.

      Delete
    2. I used to write poems a lot back when i was a disturbed little emo kid in high school -_-. I had a nice book full of a good 200 poems at one point, but i systematically lost all of them over the course of a few months from loosing the book, to loosing the digital copies on my external hard drive when it crashed. I think i have some of them left somewhere, but no where near the original amount i had.

      Delete
  2. I just read the tumblr post about this. Now that I realize some of the more underlying elements of the poems origin it seems so much more powerful and beautiful. This poem really inspires me to write myself.

    ReplyDelete