Tuesday, August 9, 2011

The Secret of NIMH

I was in the grocery store recently and saw the The Secret of NIMH on sale for $6 and had to pick it up. I remember watching this movie when I was really young and loving it. I also remember that I didn't totally understand what was going on. There a mother mouse who was trying to protect her kids, mainly her sick  mouse son. And the rest of the story was sort of a haze. There was a pretty necklace involved and some rat that had glowing eyes. Outside of that, I didn't remember anything substantial.

So I was interested to see how this movie stood up to my childhood memory of it. Also, I wanted to know what the actual story was about. So, very much in the fashion that I probably took on when I watched it as a child, I sat in front of the television and watched The Secret of NIMH again. I found that I had remembered parts of the movie incorrectly. And other places, there was information that I had skipped over in my youth. For instance, I had no idea that NIMH was acronym. And I had no idea that the rats were stealing electricity from the farmhouse. (I still don't understand how that worked). And aside from the amulet glowing, I didn't remember the ending to this movie whatsoever.

What I did remember was that this movie was made from a book. I think it was the first movie that I had ever heard of coming from a book. And I wanted to read that book. I don't know why I never got my hands on it, but that started my whole fascination with movies that were based off of books.

Did the movie stand that test of time? I suppose so. Being 20 or so years older now than when I first watched it, I can't help but have a ton of questions when it comes to the plot of the story. But it is definitely something that I would want my younger cousins watch and be as in awe of the story as I was when I watched it for the first time.


2 comments:

  1. I don't feel like such an oddball anymore. I came across this movie late one night (Netflix? YouTube?) this year and decided to revisit for similar reasons. Hadn't seen it since the 80s and couldn't remember all the details. I think mixed up some of the story line with The Great Mouse Detective. I also revisited Land Before Time and was amazed at the simplicity of the animation and how I loved that movie as a kid. Another one I feel the need to revisit is An American Tale.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember watching the Great Mouse Detective and loving the fact that he lived at 221 B Baker St.:D

    ReplyDelete