Monday, March 7, 2011

My lament over having no television.

This whole no television thing sucks monkey balls. However, I know that it is probably the best thing for me at this point in my life. (Sucks being so adult). Back in February, my cable modem/box deaie just decided it didn't want to work any more. I thought, "Hey, this is great. This will force me to downgrade and give up television. Now I will have time to do all the things that I need to get done." And while this is very very true, I still miss having television. 


I look at the empty black screen with longing, remembering all the shows that I used to watch. And then remembering all the basketball games that I will be missing now that I can't turn it on. Like a phantom limb, I go to turn it on when I sit on my couch and then remember that I will only be greeted with a blue screen.


However, amazingly, it seems like I have more hours in the day. Yesterday, I literally sat on my couch and could not figure out what to do with myself. There were several hours before I could reasonably go to bed and I had absolutely nothing I could think of doing to fill the time with. I was...dare I say it...bored. Don't get me wrong, there was plenty that I could have done, but none as mindless as turning on the television and letting it suck my time away without me even noticing it was happening.


I am not sure when I am going to get used to being without television. When the reflexive reach for the remote will go away. And when I will fill my days with doing things that are much more constructive. But until that moment happens, I can only say that right now things suck. I miss the endless noise that came from my television. Why did I ever think this was a great idea?

No comments:

Post a Comment