Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Rambling about poems

I really should have a point to a blog before I write it, however I don't this time. So I am hoping to ramble myself to point before this is over with.


I have never been much of a poet honestly. I tried my hand at it when I was younger. In the beginning, it was mostly just angsty teen dribble trying it's best to be deep and soul searching. Then I just used it as an outlet to get out everything inside of me that I just couldn't seem to say to anyone else. Now I want it to be more. I want the words to be stirring and poignant and not just something that I scribbled down in a moment's time. 


I am not looking for anything deep and mind bending. But I want to write something that leaves a mark after a person is done reading it. Even if it is only a grain of emotion that was brought out, that would make me happy. Honestly, I am kind of tired of reading poetry that feels like it fits inside of Hallmark cards or are several feel good bumper stickers that are plastered together make a few stanzas. I want something more.


I want it to tell me a story, to take me on a journey, to lead me to place that I have never been before. I don't want to hear about puppy love or how it is going to be okay in the end or how pretty the park was today. I want to be taken somewhere else. Somewhere that has been thought about. A place that has been well constructed with words that were picked for a purpose. I am looking for something that goes beyond the sugary sweet surface of what poetry seems to mean to most and gets to the meat where real poetry; and the poets who write it; resides.


But like it always seems to be, I make up the minority. No one wants to take this trip with me. They are happy with just the fringes and beginnings of what poetry could be, patting themselves on the back for crafting their holiday card work. But I can't be happy with this. There is more, there is better, and as long as I know that I can't be satisfied.


I'm not looking for anything overworked and cluttered with florid language and words that no one can pronounce. But what I am looking for is a different view. A way to write something that gives an impression, a strong one, that resonates with the person who reads it. Perhaps I am reaching too far, but I have never been one to keep it simple. I can only hope that one day I can look at poem I have written and realize that I have finally gotten what I wanted.

No comments:

Post a Comment