Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Gotta bring my A game

I have said it before and I will say it again, anyone who challenges me in the arena of writing and roleplay has my utmost respect. I'm not saying that in a "I am the best" tone. Rather I am saying it in a "I have found someone who inspires me to do better" tone. And no one is throwing down that gauntlet like House Silvacce. Yes, this is another WoW post. I should have warned you ahead of time. However the end of this post will be non-WoW, so just hang in there.


There have been a number of roleplayers who want to play the hardened, icy, cold female role. But it always comes down the same thing. The character turns into a bitch. No two ways about it. The character always becomes the squawky, condescending, everyone rolls their eyes at, bitch that you are supposed to be afraid of. And maybe sometimes you are, but more often than not, you just find them tiring. You can throw a stone in any direction and hit 7 bitches and that is in an empty building. But last night, I saw how an ice queen should be done. So cheers to House Silvacce for dazzling me...again.


This character didn't really have to say much of anything. It was the mannerisms and lack of words that scared the piss out of me. Out of -me-, not my character. I was literally sitting behind my computer screen thinking "Jesus, this is one scary lady". That is how I want to play an ice queen. Not some screeching harpy full of piss and vinegar with her finger in everyone's face. These guys are really making me take it back to the drawing board and thinking my character out all over again.


And it's the subtleties that get me. The refinement of the roleplay. Yes the lines are great, but there is something extra in the mannerisms and word choice that really sells what's happening. That is the level I want to be on. 


So the non-WoW part. The person who is going to be the one I chase from now until one of us dies (and probably in the after life as well) is Phil Roland. He writes better loaded than I do on my finest day. The way he expresses such mundane things blows my mind. And his imagery (though bleak, dreary, and down right depressing) is something that I want to emulate. I have no idea how he thinks things like that. Maybe it's the booze. But I read his blog (philroland.tumblr.com) and know that I have so much work to do when it comes to my writing.


So yes, headed back to the lab again, making my okay good and my good better.

No comments:

Post a Comment