Friday, January 14, 2011

Photoshop and a Wacom Tablet

Yeah, two things that I got over the holiday was a copy of Adobe Photoshop CS5 and a Wacom Bamboo Pen tablet. While I was really excited about having these things, it also incites a bit of anxiety. This was quite a bit of money spent and now I have to use this stuff so it won't seem like I am wasting it. But the inspiration to doodle digitally is just as low as the inspiration to doodle in my sketch book. It just feels like I lack direction. Not sure what to draw or why draw it.


But last night, I decided to fire up CS5 and see what I could do with it. Not much for the first time around, but it was very interesting. Drawing on a tablet is very different from paper, but I knew that going into it. I was getting better at controlling the pen and one of the shocks was that it didn't really take me long to get used to looking at the screen instead of my heads. I will admit that I did glance down at my hands a few times, but not as much as I thought I was going to.


There are a lot of CS5 features that I have no idea about and it will take me a bit before I can start really using the thing to its full potential, but I will get there eventually. I am still going to continue working in my sketchbook, just because it is a good place to keep my ideas in, even if they are drawn badly.


My sister applauds me for drawing in CS5, because she does her drawing in Illustrator and then takes it over to CS5. Something about vectors and all that. I gratefully took her accolades, but the reason I don't use Illustrator is because I don't have it. I made the jump from Paint to CS5 and just started messing around. I sent her my first attempt. She was nice about it.


So yeah, I think I will try and draw more often now, so I can get as much use out of my new toys as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment