Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Surprise, Surprise

So I have to say that I was pleasantly surprised today by something that came out of the blue. And I suppose that very simple surprise meant a great deal because for a while my life has been shit.


Not that monumental shit where you have no idea how you are going to get on the other side. It is that little nagging in the back of your head shit that makes you question everything about the day. What is the reason for waking up? What is the reason for getting dressed? What is the reason for making an effort any more? So I have basically been battling that off and on for almost two months and it doesn't help me as I stare at the heap loads of studying that have to get done on a daily basis.


So dragging through my monotonous days, there really isn't much that sparks any type of emotion in me. It is just one bland day after the next. Then enter in someone who does one of the most unexpected things. Let me set the scene in order to make this story take even longer.


The easiest way to catch my eye is to write something and something good. And of course good is totally subjective (which I know is very unfair) but that is beside the point I am trying to make. I started a writing venture with a friend just as something to pass the time. Nothing too serious, just a way to flex my creativity and dabble around with some ideas I had floating in my head. His writing caught my attention and I really wasn't expecting it to. I was expecting to have to spell things out and spoon feed him what I wanted to happen in certain scenes, but out of the gate, this guy gave me everything I wanted and some more.


He had an eye for detail and he thought two steps ahead. And he wrote something that I was shocked to see and it takes a bit for me not to see something coming a mile away. I think he is going to make me step up my writing game and nothing excites me more than someone who brings me a challenge. And what thrilled me even more, is that he is thinking of where the story is going to lead farther down the road. I was shocked. Story progression? He is thinking about story progression?! Diamond in the rough! I can barely find someone who can think 2 pages ahead in the story and he is talking about chapters down the road. And -he- is thinking of them. Not me. It was a great feeling. One I haven't had since the days of the QFGC. I hope that this momentum stays forever, but in case it doesn't, I'm milking it for all it is worth.


So yeah, I still have shit to do while I would much rather stay in bed. But today, I woke up and had this one thing I looked forward to and it was quite the surprise.

No comments:

Post a Comment