Sunday, January 23, 2011

An Alter Ego

Today I watched Penny Arcade: The Series and it was the episode about alter egos. I found the comments on having alter egos to be pretty interesting. I'll put the link below so you can go and watch the episode I am referring to. (And then watch all the rest afterward)


http://www.penny-arcade.com/patv/pa-the-series/209/


I kind of like having an alter ego for a few reasons. Most of the time when I am writing, I want to separate myself from all of the outside "noise". Just life in general. I don't want to think about anything that is happening around me. I just want to focus on the world that my characters are living in. And I feel like the separation is more complete when I take on an alter ego. Someone who is different from my actual self. Who isn't bogged down with all the stresses of my every day existence. They only exist for this. For this writing I am doing at the moment. And then once I am finished, it is back to being my normal self again.


I suppose I view my alter ego as a type of escapism. As a way out of the world that I have to live in every day and into a world of my own creation, whether that be through writing or being part of internet forums or what have you. I like having a way to a draw a line that lets you pause reality, just for a short while, and go be part of something else.


And ever since I learned that Mark Twain's real name was Samuel Clemens, I always loved the idea of writing under a pseudonym. Not quite sure what intrigues about it. But I remember trying to pick something out in high school. I still might write under it, I am not entirely sure. I guess it all depends on what I decide to write.

No comments:

Post a Comment