Wednesday, October 27, 2010

GMX Day 3 and wrap up

Yeah, I know, it took me a while to write about the final day. But I will explain why in another blog post. Onto the last day of GMX!

So after two days of going to all these panels and going to a pretty awesome birthday party, there was no way that I was going to make it to any of the morning panels, which was okay since I couldn't see myself going to the Hogwarts High Tea anyway. So that afternoon, I headed to panel that showed us a few tricks on how to make animations without using Flash. Now to me it was just lines and lines of code, but it was simplified in such a way that if I could learn the commands, I could probably input something like that myself. Learning something like that just made my online ambitions and dreams that closer to reality.

The last panel I went to was probably the best one I had gone to since I had stepped foot into the con. It was Intro to Leatherworking. The only thing I knew about leather working was some of the things my sister had said, but not a lot of it had stuck. In this panel, there were two guys who made costumes and props who were giving us all kinds of information on everything they could think of. Paints, dyes, oils, stamps, equipment, different types and weights of leather, molding, anything they could cram into an hour, they did it. And they even passed out some information on a local leather store in Nashville. I left there wanted to make some leather items for myself.

Overall, I think it was pretty con experience for my first con. No, I didn't go around to the tables and buy anything except for an apron. And no, I didn't really do that much mingling aside from tapping people on the shoulder and saying "Do you mind if I take your picture?". But I was there just to sort of feel things out. GMX is a pretty small and young con (this is only the 2nd year) but I think I will probably head out and go next  year. Though some of the panels were a bit weak, I think it was made up for. They had some really great guests and in the end, it is a good show. So if you are ever in the Nashville area, you should definitely check out GMX.

No comments:

Post a Comment