Thursday, October 14, 2010

The Peace that surpasses Understanding

Today had started to be another crummy one. For the past two days, I had done nothing but mope around my apartment, feeling miserable. Depression and loneliness had somehow crept up on me and I made the mistake of pulling out chairs for the both of them and entertaining their company. It wasn't long before they decided to invite their friends: Anxiety and Doubt. Needless to say, by this morning I had let myself sink the bottom of that dark pit and could not figure out a way to get myself out of it.

Sitting on my couch, I reached for several index cards that I had written some Bible verses on. I have been trying to get into the habit of having verses on cards so I can flip through them whenever I want to. I came across Jeremiah 32:27 "Behold I am the Lord, the God of all flesh: is there anything too hard for me?". That linked with something I had read this morning ("Your past does not define you") was enough for me to start kicking all these bad feelings out of my head. Then I laid out on my couch and had a conversation with God.

I don't know why I wait until I feel like my world is starting to rip apart before I talked to God. However, I am glad that He still listens, no matter when I decide we have to talk. I got up from the couch feeling a million times better about...everything. I took my cup of coffee and study materials outside on my patio and studied with a new found energy and peace about everything working out.

I Peter 5:7
O Praise Him - David Crowder Band

No comments:

Post a Comment