Thursday, October 7, 2010

Writing Season is almost upon us

Well when the weather starts getting cooler (or whatever it feels like doing here in Nashville) and people start breaking out the hoodies and lightweight jackets, it is sign that writing season is right around the corner.

Yep, that's right. In less than a month's time, I will be furiously crouched over my laptop, trying to hammer out 50,000 words as a participant of National Novel Writing Month. I am going to try and do something different this year. The last two years, I worked on one single work. I think this year I am going to do a collection of stories that sum up to 50,000 words. I'm not entirely sure if this will work. However, I have been wanting to do these stories for a while now. So even if I don't win, I will at least have all my stories done.

Of course the down side to doing several shorter works in lieu of a single long one is that I have to come up with several different plots. I think that might be the snag that gets me. What if I can't come up with enough stories to make the word goal? And on top of that, I changed my genre to one that I have never written before. I just hope that I don't have to change plans mid-November.

So now I have to start brainstorming. Because I thought I wasn't going to do this, this year I didn't plan anything out. Last year, I started brainstorming back in August with a story idea that hit me while I was driving. This year, not only am I starting late, but I am still studying for STEP 1. I almost feel like I am going to be figuring this story out as I go along. Which is going to be a different experience since I usually have a road map to guide me through the story before I even start.

If anything this year should prove interesting. I have a feeling there will be a lot of blogs coming from it at least.

No comments:

Post a Comment