Wednesday, November 30, 2011

NaNoWriMo 2011 Day 30

Well today is the last day of the noveling marathon, known as National Novel Writing Month. Today is when you hammer that keyboard like a person possessed and make sure you get that word count. Well guess what ladies and gents: I WON! I MADE IT TO 50K! Man, and to think that I was about to quit a few days ago. Winning feels so great! I actually threw my hands up in the air and cheered when I saw that winner page. I did it! I actually did it! Going to ride this high for as long as it stays around. And the winner video was so great. It made me smile.

My story stayed on course for the most part. There were introduction of characters that I didn't really think of in the beginning. And there were certain rules to magic that kept inventing themselves the longer I kept writing. And then the ending changed, drastically. Of course, it's not a perfect story just yet. There is a tremendous amount of editing that has to be done to it before it becomes something that I would fall in love with it. But there is something there. I just have to sift around through all the ideas on those pages in order to find it.

I did get out to one actual write in this year. I do believe the virtual write ins were my saving grace, however. It was a way to do word wars and feel connected with my region, even though I wasn't able to get out and see them face to face. They definitely did a lot when it came to helping me get across that finish line. There were more than a few nights when I needed some encouragement in order to get my word count for the day. And that chat was a God send.

So what are my plans for this story now that November is over? Well, I am going to let it sit and marinate for a while. I don't know if it is something that I want to publish, or something I want to peel apart and reconstruct into a different story. I'm not 100% satisfied with it the way it is. I think this is the first time that I have said something like about any work that I have written for NaNoWriMo. But this time around was different feel anyway. The idea for the story came later than usual. And it came from a thought that had been in my mind from a very long time ago. I had written on single scene and had thought of two characters. And to take a vague idea like that one and start fleshing it into a 50,000 word work, there is bound to be some areas that aren't exactly what I want them to be.

So there you have it. Didn't really give the play by play of what the month of November has been like, but hopefully a large enough peek to be entertaining and/or informative. So, I will be taking a break from writing for a bit, just to give my brain some time to recoup from the week of catching up I just did. I am very much thinking about making December an art month. We will see if it happens or not.

I want to thank everyone who left comments. And I want to thank people for reading. I do a lot of blathering about nothing on this blog. Kind of nice to know that I'm not simply talking to myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment