Tuesday, November 8, 2011

NaNoWriMo Day 8

So it is Week 2. Right at that point where all the excitement of starting a novel slowly wanes a bit and now you have to dig in and make yourself write your 1667 words a day. I was definitely starting to feel the amount of motivation I had for this story starting to leak out a bit. Sitting and writing was becoming more of a fight than it had when I first started. So what did I do to fix it? I went to a write in.

I am very lucky to have a very active NaNo Region. We have several write ins a week and for those who can't get to the physical write in, there is a chat room where we can sit and talk while we write. We even do word wars. I forgot just how much I can get written during a word war.

So right after I got out from clinic, I took myself and my computer to the meeting spot and sat down. I saw some old faces, I saw some new faces. It just pretty great to be with people who were doing the same as me, clacking away on their computers, hammering out those stories.The chat room is pretty helpful, especially when it is later at night and I need that little spurt of energy to keep me going until I get all my words in for the day.

So how is the story going so far? Well I did hit a patch where things were starting to get boring. And if I'm bored, then I know that no one is going to want to read it. The story was just starting to become a walk through the every day school life of my MC. And really, what is the fun in that? So I was advised to start some conflict, that would bring the interest back into the story. I took that advice and ran with it. My MC has so far gotten into to verbal fights and a physical fight. I am in the process of writing another verbal. His being timid is definitely not working in his favor at this point.

One of the problems that I'm having right now is that I vaguely know what I want to happen when it comes to story progression, but I don't have it solidly pinned down just yet. And I want to write a story where clues to what is going to happen at the climax have been laced all through out the story. However, if I'm not clear on how things are going to be in the end, I can't lay down those clues. It sort of frustrates me.

Also, I don't have concrete rules on how magic works in this world. I can tell that there is a basis of it somewhere in the recesses of my brain, but it is not fully there yet. Again, something else that frustrates me. I can tell that this is going to need so much editing once this month is over. But, can't think about that now. Now, I just write and write and write some more.

50K or bust!

No comments:

Post a Comment