Monday, May 2, 2011

Daily Write - Run Away

Things should have been familiar, felt welcoming, like walking into a second home. This was what I was lead to believe this would feel like. It was far from that. It was like walking onto a stage being told to perform but never having learned a line, lyric, or note. People simply stared from underneath fancy hats, pinned up-do's and behind sideways glances. They were all curious but concerned at the same time. The lines along the sides of their heart shaped mouths gave them away, along with the pinched creases on the outside of their eyes.


Like an unnatural pull, people drifted away from me. Their very base instinct was to dash away and gawk from a distance as one would do a spectre. But etiquette and  manners only let them slip ever so slowly to the sides, acting as if they were making way for me to pass by. However, I knew better. And they knew that I knew.


On display, like an animal in a gilded cage for all to stare at and whisper about. This place and it's people were no different. Here things were supposed to be safe, supposed to feel like coming home. But nothing could be any more opposite. I want to run, run and never come back. But I can't, because everyone else is blocking the exits.

No comments:

Post a Comment