Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Music changes everything

It amazes me how my mood can be so easily set by music. Sometimes, I think that I might be paying attention to it too much. No one should be that effected, right? But then I decide that at this stage in the game, I am the way I am and I might as well embrace it. Some people describe music as "having a nice sound" or "it has a beat I like" but for me, music is more than that. I blame my over active mind.


When certain songs come on, I just close my eyes and listen. Honestly, there are times where I feel like I'm flying. Well feel like what I imagine flying would feel like. I couldn't possibly have any other thoughts going through my head at this moment. The music has totally entranced me and for that 3-5 minutes, nothing exists in the world outside of that song and the feeling that I have attached to it.


There are times when I can be in a terrible mood and the music that I have playing can augment that mood or completely turn it around. Sometimes I wonder, am I the only person who reacts this way. I can be having the worst day, but the moment I put on some music that gets me hyped up, all that other stuff just seems to slide into the background.


Or I can do just the opposite. I remember being angry a lot as a teenager (wow, I was an angsty teen, who ever would have pegged that one) and the one thing I would do was play certain music really loud and just stand in front of the speakers. The best way I could describe what was happen was it felt like my anger was just burning itself out. I would just get more and more angry until finally I didn't feel anything anymore. I would just feel empty.


I suppose I should caveat this by saying that not every song I listen to has this effect. If it did, I would never be able to have the radio on in my car. But the amount of music that does is pretty high. I never admitted this out loud, because I thought people would think that I was crazy. Most of the time when I explain how things work in my head, I get that sideways glance. So I have learned to keep my mouth shut and continue to ride the rides that are in the carnival of my brain. 


It's an inexplicable phenomenon, at least to me, but one that I constantly take advantage of.

No comments:

Post a Comment