Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Penning a Novel #3

Okay, so this writing thing is proving to be a bit harder than I had expected. Last year the writing was a bit easier starting off. I'm hoping that this just means I haven't settled into my groove yet.


One of the things that is causing a bit of problem is that I can't write in my tried and true writing spot. Instead I have to write on my desktop, and right now, this area of my house is not that conducive to creativity. And until I get a laptop, I won't be able to go to any write ins either. 


I will be doing the piecemeal writing method this year. There are parts of the story that are pretty solidly hammered out in my head. However, the transition getting those parts aren't all there as of yet.I figure that I will fill those in once I have all the scenes that are set in stone written down.


Writing a child's story is so much different because I feel like my vocabulary has to be extremely watered down. I don't want the characters to sound older than they actually are.I guess the thing that I am fighting in my head is the fact that the story sounds so childish. I mean, in this instance it is a good thing. I am just not used to it.I literally read my story with the voice of a elementary school teacher in my head.


I have come to a terrible realization though. I am close the finishing the first story and am only 1800 words in.If each story is only 2000 words, then I have to write 25 stories in order to make to 50,000. This is a far cry from the " 5 stories at 10,000 words" that I had planned at first. I can't panic about that now, however. I just have to keep writing and see what comes of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment