Monday, October 24, 2011

GMX Day 2 and Day 3

I had to condense these two days down into one post because I wasn't there for the entirety of either two days. However, I want to talk about some of the things I saw and did the rest of the weekend.

The panels that were done this year were great. I know last year there were a few that I was a bit iffy about, but none of that this year. I went to several panels on writing and art, and it just felt good to sit down and talk shop with those in the same craft. I didn't get to go to all of the writing workshops that I wanted to because they were scheduled against things like Live Angry Birds (we will talk about that later) and stuff like that. But what I did get to sit on was really really awesome.

I have to say that the Geek Journalism panel was exactly the type of thing I was looking for. Yes it was Sunday and yes everyone was tired, but I was happy that I sat in on it. Sitting through the panel, I felt like the site that I work for was not the only one that had its problems, mess ups, and short comings. Everyone who did this kind of thing encountered the exact same obstacles. And they were willing to be open about it and give some pointers on how to overcome those problems. I wish all of the USH Staff would have been sitting in there with me to hear what these guys had to say. I guess I should have networked a bit more. Put the UnSung Heroes name out there. But I didn't. Maybe at MTAC?

So what was there to do aside from panels? There were several game-like events that happened. One was Game of Thrones: Human Chess. Now this event sounded good on paper, but I think there could have been some things done to make it a little better. First, the idea of having two people play a chess game and then have it reenacted on a life size board, with people as the pieces was a pretty cool idea. It is just that the way everything was set up didn't really lend to an audience watching. I'm sure if you were part of the game, it was cool. But I didn't spectate long before walking about. I hope they try it again next year, but change a few things. For instance, have the two players up on a stage where the audience can see them. And utilize the use of microphones. Also, make the markings on the squares a bit more clear, so when the play says "Knight to G4", the person can move. Someone shouting "Hey you, move there" sort of lessens the effect. However, the idea was pretty neat all in all. I hope they try it again.

One of the most entertaining things outside had to be the live Angry Birds. Yep, a team would build cardboard box buildings and the other team would shoot birds and try to knock it down. Inside some of the boxes were green water balloons signifying pigs. I know it is a sin to admit, but I have never played Angry Birds. However, watching these outdoor hijinks was very amusing. I wanted to watch the live Plants vs. Zombies, but there was Steampunk panel I wanted to get to.

And what would GMX be without a little Steampunk? Apparition Abolishers were set up in the Pavilion and some of the stuff they brought was jaw droppingly amazing. I will admit that my knowledge of Steampunk is a bit limited. But these displays they brought out expanded my creative knowledge by leaps and bounds. Aside from "woah" "cool" and "awesome", I don't know what other words I have to describe all the things that I saw. All you could do was have your mouth come open as you were surrounded by some fantastic work.

I met some really cool people and had the time of my life this weekend. I did a bunch of other things and saw a bunch of other things, but listing them would make this blog way too long. I am so glad that I attended GMX and will definitely put it on my list of things to do next year. I have a ton of pictures that will be going up on the USH Facebook page. I'll link it once they are up.

No comments:

Post a Comment