Saturday, October 22, 2011

GMX 2011 - Day 1

So, the new location of GMX this year is awesome. The stage, the lights, it just feels so much bigger and more exciting this year. (Parking does suck just a tad though). Definitely had a blast tonight and I'm raring to go tomorrow morning. 

So a break down of the night: I went to the comedy show first. For the most part, the comedians were really good. The nerd humor was great. There was an act or two that wasn't up my alley. But it was something new that was being tried out and I for one hope that it comes back next year. Then, I headed off to the panels, right after stopping by the arcade room.

The old school arcade machines were so awesome. I suppose I should have sat down and played a game, but I was too afraid of sucking. I never played these games. I would just keep dying repeatedly. I decided to leave the seat open for someone who knew what they were doing.

First panel was about WarSport 2041. I honestly had no idea what that was, but after hearing about it, I am so intrigued buy it. The story is set in a world where wars don't exist. Instead, problems are solved in games called WarSport. There are talks going on about this web series being turned into a mini series on Sci Fi (or SyFy, as I refuse to call it) and I for one hope that they do. It sounds so great. I wanted nothing more than to get a picture with those guys on the panel, but I found out at the Opening Ceremony that I had left my battery in the charger. So I will probably stop by their booth, get some photos and pick up a t-shirt. And I found out there is a prequel to the show that can be watched at www.youtube.com/warsport2041

Then I sat in on a talk about post apocalyptic art. It was quite an interesting talk that meandered around lots of different topics. How pop culture was affecting the art industry. What makes a picture scary? How you translate your own fear onto a canvas. People like this guy are the ones that I just want to sit under and watch their process. When I asked how could I make my art more scary, since my work never seem to take that turn, I got an answer that I didn't expect. He told me that I should just draw whatever it was that came to me naturally and I shouldn't fight it. I should just take what I do and turn it up to 11. I had honestly never really considered that. 

I was going to stay for some more panels, but I was honestly ready for bed. I shall be back with bells on tomorrow morning. Maybe with bells and Starbucks.

No comments:

Post a Comment