Monday, December 20, 2010

New writing project

Yeah, at it again. Always something else that I slate for myself, even though so many other projects lay unfinished. I always tell myself that I will get around to them some time. Probably should be a bit more disciplined about that. Anyway...

I had an idea pop into my head right before NaNoWriMo and shelved it for December. I have been working on bits and pieces and already I have hit part of a snag. It is crazy long. And when I mean crazy long, we are looking at book series. Or one of those huge, could kill a small dog, J.K. Rowling tomes.

I always seem to be that I make a story so much longer than what it has to be. The story could be about some man who is striving to be great, but for some reason I decide to start the story when he is 8 years old. Why do I feel the need to lay down so much ground work for a character? I mean it really isn't all that necessary. In fact, parts like that can be kind of boring. It reminds me of the days when I read books that you had to trudge though the first couple of chapters before the story got good. I am not really interested in doing something like that. At least not on purpose.

And coming up with names for the characters in this new story is quite brutal. I used to have a program called TableSmith on my laptop. But I dropped it and there went that. I might have it on the backup that IT made for me. I haven't checked. I am not sure why names are difficult this time around. I guess it is because I am looking for a certain sound or a certain feel to a name. A lot of times I believe that I am just thinking too hard. And that small amount of the time, I just let myself give into it.

I keep telling myself that I should write out everything I want to and then throw out all the bad stuff later. But for now, just let myself enjoy everything I want to do. Enjoy writing about mundane and monotonous tasks, even if I know that all of it is going to be scrapped. Write badly and hopefully a seed of something good will salvaged from amidst all the atrocity.

I have hit a point in my life where I wish I had several months were I did not need to do anything. I wish I could pack my things and live in some lakeside cabin (this is beginning to sound a bit like Secret Window) and just do nothing but write. No distractions, just me, some writing aids, and my imagination. But I am getting off topic and starting to ramble.

So yes, new writing project. I have done a small bit of writing on it. I feel like I am only scratching the surface of things in the story and there is going to so much to tell. And already I am starting to get lost in it. But it is the good typed of lost. It is the parts of the story that you have muddle through in order to make the jump from scene A to scene B.

No comments:

Post a Comment