Sunday, January 26, 2014

Getting in those Veggies!

I can't tell you when I started cooking. The first time was probably my parents let me "help" with making breakfast on Saturday morning. I do have a lot of memories of asking my mom to stir batter, because I wanted to lick the bowl when it was all done. Since then, I have always made do when it came to food. Good enough to consume, but nothing to write home about.

Recently, I have wanted to go beyond that. I have wanted to make food that looks pretty and tastes fantastic. I blame that on all the cooking shows that I have watched over the years. Recently, I tried making Mei Fun. It didn't come out right because of several things that I did wrong. But, I'm going to post it up anyway. 

First off, anyone who knows me, knows that I don't like to chop anything. I am that person who goes to the frozen food section and buys all the vegetables already cut and ready to go. But, I am starting to make exceptions to that rule. Fresh ingredients will always trump frozen ones.

Very happy I investing in a cutting board

So as you can see, I was doing a lot of chopping when I did this. The only thing I did not get fresh was the bean sprouts that I used, since I already had some in the cabinet. I do have to give credit where credit is due. I got all of these vegetables from ALDI (with exception of the green onions and carrots which were already in my fridge). I would say that I spent around $3.00 for what you see on the table, carrots and green onions included. Amazing, right?!


This was named DesyFun, since Mei Fun it is not :P

The final product did not come out exactly as I had envisioned, but it still tasted good. And it was something different than what I normally cook. I am pretty sure that I used the wrong type of noodle and I put way too much in the wok at one time. But it is a vast improvement on the first time that I tried to make mei fun. Perhaps the 3rd time will be the charm.







No comments:

Post a Comment