Saturday, February 1, 2014

What I'm reading: The Wallstreet Journal


I have never been much for reading newspapers. I guess that was something I did not pick up from my parents. Morning coffee and reading up on the local news just wasn't in my foreseeable future. Not even reading the funny pages. However, there is one newspaper that made its way into my life and I find myself reading it quite a bit: The Wallstreet Journal.



I remember my first copy of that paper. I had signed up for a prep course and it included a subscription to the WSJ. It was supposed to help with reading comprehension, I suppose. I slowly began to fall in love with the type of articles that they ran and the reporters use of vocabulary. I read the papers, despite their date or the fact that they were supposed to be a learning tool.


Articles like this is why I read this paper


This habit stuck with me, despite the course being over and my subscription being finished. I would find my way to the library newspaper stacks and pick up a copy to read, just to relax. I began to find that my leisurely reading was putting me ahead of my friends when it came to things happening in realms relevant to us. Topics would come up about random things as we sat around eating dinner or doing homework and I would have known about them months earlier. And for some reason, I liked being in the know about things.

The title on this is clever

Time had passed since then and I had not read a WSJ in quite some time. And then I spent last summer in New York. I passed a newspaper stand as I was headed to my train and thought..."I would really like one of those". Next thing I know, buying a WSJ and heading home with it was my treat for the week. I get so excited when I saw a paper. And the fact that is only $2 is pretty nice.


I don't know why I love this paper so much. But I do. And I can't get enough of reading it. It is my weekly treat to myself. My indulgence in the interesting things that are happening in the world, printed in a vernacular that wish to adopt for myself. I hope there are other people out there who feel the same way about this paper as I do. And if you have never read an issue, I would suggest picking one up.

No comments:

Post a Comment