Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Hair Journey: Flat Twists

May marks the one year anniversary of when I last used a relaxer in my hair. I really thought I had my hair management down to science at this point. Nope! Not even close. My hair is showing me that I have absolutely no idea what is it is capable of doing and becoming. My hair has hit it's unruly teen years, where it has no idea what it is or what it wants to do in life. It just knows that it is different and it wants to shout that difference from the roof tops.

My ends are relaxed still, because I just can't bring myself to do the big chop. The roots have grown out beautifully; soft, wavy and healthy. But I don't know what to do with it. I haven't had this kind of texture in my hair since I was 13. This is the point where I am so tempted to put that creamy crack right back on there and forget I ever started this. To fight this urge, I am going to find a hairstyle that is works while my hair gets through this phase in it's life.


 


















I was never the master of cornrows or braiding in general.  I know how to do it, but they weren't the prettiest things one to look at. Recently I was introduced to the Flat Twist, the simpler cousin to the cornrow. The basic principle of between the two styles are the same. The only difference is instead of braiding three strands of hair, you twist two strands of hair. I don't know why that makes it easier, but it just does. Trust me.

It took me some practice with this hairstyle before I managed something that I was okay with wearing out in public. I watched several YouTube videos, Googled tons of images and read so many articles, I felt like I knew everything there was to know. I keep my twisting routine simple. I brush my edges and put aloe vera gel on them to tame some of the unruliness. I divide my hair into sections and decide what pattern I'm going to twist my hair in. I part with a rat tail comb (because it makes the parts cleaner) and add hair lotion to my hair before I start twisting.



While this style is a bit more frustrating to do, I think it is worth it. Once you get the basics down, you can be as creative or as simplistic as you want. And personally, I like styles that are versatile. Is flat twists something you have done before or have wanted to try? Any hairstyles you have wanted to do yourself, but got frustrated with? Keep practicing and one day you might surprise yourself.



No comments:

Post a Comment