Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Extrovert Again?

So I would have to say that I describe myself as pretty extroverted. At least I used to be anyway. I was that girl who could chat it up with everyone. I was a no holds barred, full tilt type of person. Of course I had to get to know the person first before they got the full dose of my personality. People who had just met me would describe me as quiet, calm and to myself. My friends knew a whole lot better.

However, the past few years have caused all of that to do a complete 180. I don't think anyone who knows me would describe me as outgoing at all. In fact, I don't know there is anyone around me now who knows me well enough to describe me at all. (Outside of you, Legacy, if you are reading this). I just made myself okay with the huge change. Just adapted and moved on with life. Until just recently.

I found out last summer that when a person becomes stressed, they start acting in ways that is opposite of their natural personality. So if you are naturally an extroverted person, high stress will cause you to withdraw and become introverted. And my life has pretty much been a pressure cooker for years now. I had no idea that I was simply reacting to stress when I decided to hide myself away from the world. (I usually don't know when I'm stressed out until I finally crack and burst into tears). I had just accepted this as a new way of life. I was just going to be that person drifting in and out of the background. I would have to be okay with that. But slowly, those things started changing, and I'm not sure why.

It's like one day I woke up and decided, "I think I will talk to someone and make a joke." I made that joke and the person laughed at it. Then I decided to chat it up with another student that was working in the same place as me. Then a nurse and the list continues. It was like I could see my old extroverted self finally coming back. My old personality finally stepping out into the public eye and waving at everyone. Honestly, it felt good. It felt really really good. Let's see how long I am going to ride this wave.

No comments:

Post a Comment