Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Daily Write - Turning Back Time

How long had it been? Decades perhaps. It had been long enough that I did not want to count it. However, nothing here had changed. Everything was exactly the way it was on the night I left it, right down to the candlesticks in the windows. The halls had the same empty echo at each step I took down the corridors. This place even smelled the same. Incense and wood polish.

No, the only thing that had changed in this passage of time was me. My steps are slower now, not as joyous and light as they once had been. My eyes not as bright and shimmery. A lot has happened and it seems the only thing that has changed is myself. I don't even recognize the people walking past me in these long corridors, lit only by the flickering flame of the candles in the windows.

I'm not sure why I came back here. What was I expecting? Perhaps I had hoped that being here would somehow transform me. Take me back to all of those years ago when my footfalls weren't as heavy and my eyes weren't as dim.

No comments:

Post a Comment