Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Kitchen Adventures! - Peanut Butter and Molasses cookies

There are a few foods I admit to have constant cravings for. One of those foods are cookies. I can't tell you what it is about cookies that makes me want to curl up with a glass of milk and forget the rest of the world exists, but that is just the way it is. There are few foods that can make me as happy as a than a couple of freshly baked cookies from the oven.

I can't remember the first time I baked cookies. I'm pretty sure it had to be with my mom. Most of my budding culinary knowledge started with her. I do remember the first batch I made by myself, however. Every Christmas, we make molasses crinkles, because those are my dad's favorite. I was so excited to have my dad eat crinkles I had made by myself. Unfortunately, things didn't go that great. The cookies came out so hard you could have broke a tooth on them. I was pretty upset and disappointed by the whole thing. Dad thought it was funny. He picked up a cookie and bopped me on the forehead with it.


Peanut Butter and Molasses cookies
Anyway, let's fast forward to last summer, when I was in need of a late night cookie fix. It was too late to head out to the store, so my sister told me bake some myself. Surprisingly, she had everything you could ever need to make a cookie in her kitchen. My initial intention was to make a peanut butter cookie (because that is the way to my heart), however I stumbled on a recipe for peanut butter molasses cookies and decided to try that instead. Guys, I think I found the gateway to heaven.

This cookie combines the best of both a peanut butter cookie and a molasses crinkle. And, to top it all off, it is a soft cookie! Makes them even better. When warm, it feels like biting into a cloud of pillowy soft, spiced sweetness. The recipe made 2 dozen and I wanted to eat every last one myself. In fact, I made them as Christmas gifts this past December. That's how impressed I was with how these cookies came out.

A new cookie will be added to the holiday list. (Though it has been requested that I make them more often) I am pretty sure my dad won't mind. Especially now that he knows his teeth will still be in one piece after eating them. Do you guys have a favorite cookie? Any baking traditions around the holidays?

No comments:

Post a Comment